Last week I passed the ISACA Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) exam, and thought I could share some information on the resources I used to study:
- Two months before the exam, I started to listen to and watch the Cybrary CISM training course videos. About 8 hours of content all up, these were fantastic to listen to on the train or while driving to work. Well presented, good coverage of the material and also free – although I did end up making a donation. Download the app or use the website – https://www.cybrary.it/course/cism/
- A month before the exam I attended a 5 days CISM course run by ALC training in Melbourne. This was a great course and provided online and paper study material that I used for the next month. https://www.alctraining.com.au/course/cism-certified-information-security-manager/
- ISACA self assessment test – I used this 50 question test to see where I should concentrate my efforts – http://www.isaca.org/certification/cism-certified-information-security-manager/prepare-for-the-exam/pages/cism-self-assessment.aspx
- CISM Review Manual 15th Edition – fantastic study guide covering the content in great detail. Well laid out so you can quickly find sections and terms that you want to focus in on.
- CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Manual 9th Edition – well worth spending the time to go through some practice questions to prepare yourself for the formatting of the questions. Again I used this to work out areas I needed to focus on.
All the study in the world doesn’t replace experience, I’d been lucky enough to have been applying most of this content in my day-to-day job already, so I didn’t find the exam too far removed from decisions I’d make on a daily basis.
Today I took and passed the 70-247: “Configuring and Deploying a Private Cloud with System Center 2012” exam as part of my track to obtain the MCSE: Private Cloud certification.
I found the exam reasonably challenging. The exam focused mainly on VMM & App Controller, a fair bit of DPM, SCSM & SCOM and a little bit of App-V and SCORC.
There is an MVP who has broken down his experience of the exam – http://blog.scsmfaq.ch/2012/07/06/private-cloud-exam-70-247-my-experience/ – I would agree with the breakdown however my exam was 62 questions and included 2 large case studies.
I’d recommend a very good understanding and experience with VMM & App Controller, and at least a good logical understanding of the remaining technologies before sitting this exam.
This week I had a bit of free time so I booked and studied up for the Microsoft exam 70-243: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
I successfully passed the exam and achieved another certification – ‘Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Administering and Deploying System Center 2012 Configuration Manager’.
I felt the exam was one of the easier Microsoft exams I have sat (especially the SCCM 2007 one), I really think that anyone that has deeply used the SCCM 2012 product for 6 or more months would feel quite comfortable sitting this exam. Without giving away too much (I’m under NDA of course), I personally studied and would recommend having a good understanding of all areas covered under the ‘skills measured’ section of http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?id=70-243#fbid=YEjNtAwNtTv?tab2 . I am lucky enough to have a good exposure to all of these areas in my profession.
Here are some more good links related to exam 70-243: