August 1 2012

All content in hierarchy stored on CAS in SCCM 2012

I came across an interesting article today outlining the fact that in SCCM 2012 the CAS always has a copy of all content in the heirarchy, even though clients don’t access the CAS and you can’t deploy the DP role to it. Some extracts from the article:

A lot of people don’t realise that we actually have an SCCMContentLib on our CAS, even if we don’t have a DP on that site system. The SCCMContentLib on a CAS is used a little differently. It isn’t there for clients to access content, is there for Distribution Points to access content. So when I added an OSD WIM image to a DP, it’ kicked off the local processing of the WIM into the local SCCMContentLib.

The key takeaways are, even though you don’t have a DP on your CAS – make sure that you have enough storage to hold EVERY package that will be in your environment (even packages added directly at child primaries) and that your disks are fast enough to allow processing of every package added to SCCM.

Full article here –>



I use a maximum of one Google Ad per post to help offset some of my blog hosting costs.


June 15 2012

SCCM 2012 DP role to a Windows 7 x86 machine

In SCCM 2012 I had issues when deploying the DP role to a Windows 7 x86 machine. When I checked the distmgr.log on the primary site server I saw:

CWmi::Connect() failed to connect to \<<DPNAME>>rootSCCMDP. Error = 0x800706BA

On the Windows 7 machine that I was trying to add the DP role to, the WMI Name space rootSCCMDP did not exist.

After copying smsdpprov.mof from Program FilesMicrosoft Configuration ManagerbinX64 I ran ‘mofcomp.exe smsdpprov.mof’ and this recreated the WMI name space and the DP role install continued.





May 7 2012

SCCM package containing a plus (+) sign / symbol in a filename

When troubleshooting a package that wasn’t transferring from a SCCM DP to a BDP today, I realised that the filename had a plus (+) sign in it, eg BrushTip_+Round 10.PspScript. Bitsadmin reported:

ERROR CODE: 0x80190194 – The requested URL does not exist on the server.ERROR CONTEXT: 0x00000005 – The error occurred while the remote file was being processed.

The problem here is that with IIS requested URLs containing unencoded “+” characters in the path (not querystring) are rejected by default. Since we couldn’t rename the file, the workaround was to disable this validation by setting the allowDoubleEscaping attribute in the system.webServer/security/requestFiltering configuration section in the application’s web.config. Be aware that doing this may make your application more vulnerable to malicious URLs.



<requestFiltering allowDoubleEscaping=”true” />




See for more info.