May 7 2012

SCCM package containing a plus (+) sign / symbol in a filename

I use a maximum of one Google Ad per post to help offset some of my blog hosting costs.


When troubleshooting a package that wasn’t transferring from a SCCM DP to a BDP today, I realised that the filename had a plus (+) sign in it, eg BrushTip_+Round 10.PspScript. Bitsadmin reported:

ERROR CODE: 0x80190194 – The requested URL does not exist on the server.ERROR CONTEXT: 0x00000005 – The error occurred while the remote file was being processed.

The problem here is that with IIS requested URLs containing unencoded “+” characters in the path (not querystring) are rejected by default. Since we couldn’t rename the file, the workaround was to disable this validation by setting the allowDoubleEscaping attribute in the system.webServer/security/requestFiltering configuration section in the application’s web.config. Be aware that doing this may make your application more vulnerable to malicious URLs.



<requestFiltering allowDoubleEscaping=”true” />




See for more info.



I use a maximum of one Google Ad per post to help offset some of my blog hosting costs.


March 14 2012

SCCM BDPs needing restart after client installation

I had been distibuting packages to BDPs across a few SCCM enviornments and after monitoring report 136 I noticed that there were lots of packages still ‘Waiting to install package’ even after a few days . I checked the DataTransferService.log on the problem BDPs and noticed:

DTS::AddTransportSecurityOptionsToBITSJob – Failed to QueryInterface for IBackgroundCopyJobHttpOptions. BITS 2.5+ may not be installed properly.

These BDPs were running Windows 2003 x86 SP2. KB923845 (BITS 2.5) is installed with the SCCM client agent if it isn’t already installed. It isn’t obvious, but to utilise BITS 2.5, the client will require a restart.

I can verify that this needs a restart because within WindowsSystem32, files like Bitsprx2.dll change from version before the restart to after the restart. KB923845 ( indicates that these are the files that are updated in this hotfix.

Once the BDP was restarted, the error went away and the DataTransferService, PeerDPAgent and ContentTransferManager logs all show that data is being processed again.