Last week I passed the ISACA Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) exam, and thought I could share some information on the resources I used to study:
- Two months before the exam, I started to listen to and watch the Cybrary CISM training course videos. About 8 hours of content all up, these were fantastic to listen to on the train or while driving to work. Well presented, good coverage of the material and also free – although I did end up making a donation. Download the app or use the website – https://www.cybrary.it/course/cism/
- A month before the exam I attended a 5 days CISM course run by ALC training in Melbourne. This was a great course and provided online and paper study material that I used for the next month. https://www.alctraining.com.au/course/cism-certified-information-security-manager/
- ISACA self assessment test – I used this 50 question test to see where I should concentrate my efforts – http://www.isaca.org/certification/cism-certified-information-security-manager/prepare-for-the-exam/pages/cism-self-assessment.aspx
- CISM Review Manual 15th Edition – fantastic study guide covering the content in great detail. Well laid out so you can quickly find sections and terms that you want to focus in on.
- CISM Review Questions, Answers & Explanations Manual 9th Edition – well worth spending the time to go through some practice questions to prepare yourself for the formatting of the questions. Again I used this to work out areas I needed to focus on.
All the study in the world doesn’t replace experience, I’d been lucky enough to have been applying most of this content in my day-to-day job already, so I didn’t find the exam too far removed from decisions I’d make on a daily basis.